Thursday, April 7, 2011

Grunting - Cheating or Fair Play?

Howdy Folks,

I don't know about you but I was watching the Sony Ericsson matches last week - and as always really enjoyed them and learned a lot.  One of the matches I of course watched was the final between Victoria Azarenka of Belarus and Maria Sharapova of Russia.  Which The Seattle Times even noted that, "They could be heard across the street from the Sony Ericsson Open in Key Biscayne, Fla."  The screeching got so loud that the crowd couldn't contain their laughter.  It is said that Maria's yells actually reach 101 decimals - for reference the roar of a lion is 110 decimals.

Many big name players besides Sharapova and Azarenka are grunters: we also have the Williams sisters, Nadal, Agassi, just to name a few.  I've done a little research on this and I have found that there are many opinions on whether grunting should be legal or not, as well as, if it's fare to grunt or a hindrance.  I personally find it annoying (at least the extremely loud grunting) and I was curious in what you all thought.

Martina Navratilova chalks this extremely loud grunting up to cheating - now science is actually backing up her point of view.  The article that I posted below comes from Brian of tennismindcamp.com - a really good resource.  The article talks about the pros and cons of "grunting" and the scientific studies behind it.  I think you'll find it interesting as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment